Info: Home | Photo Gallery | Publications | Contact Us

Discussion: Am I a Programmer?

This is a question I constantly think of ...ever since we started the prep work for the events, which I'm still hesitant to call as a "film festival".

a"film festival"--ohhhhh I trembled a bit.

Sorry, still cannot write any full piece in Japanese. English may reads direct, and less sentimental?

Wang Jue, are we programmers?

When we just started from scratch, and have no money, especially me with no solid Japanese writing/reading ability and Wang Jue living in Beijing (physically far from Japan), and almost running out of time, what options we have and what films we could bring to Osaka???

I was even more ambitious, thinking of bringing it to Kobe as well as...let's say, Kyoto!

Our dream is really to tour at Kansai. Given that I could stay at Osaka longer, that may happen
: )

We thought of the short animation and shorts by female filmmakers for its "convenience" at first (since it'd be huge challenge to translate/subtitle features...). For a first-timer, it felt so cool and touching to get reply from the filmmakers/artists to say a big "YES"! Somehow I have the feeling that at almost the same age, or of one generation younger than me (unfortunately I am "old" now), these filmmakers and me are sort of soul-mates. Towards the unknown future, we start to face the world more comfortably; not necessarily that we have achieved much ,just that we have found our own ways creating a world of ourselves'.

Yeah, I do love our short film collections; so proud of them! I cannot bear separating from them.

Seriously, those talents' works deserve more attention also from overseas and I myself feel it's a great honor to have their support and to be able to introduce their colorful works and imaginative worlds to other audiences like me in Japan.

I didn't program, and everything come along naturally.

Ran@ Abiko

2 Comments:

  1. 匿名 said...
    your honesty and earnesty towards the project are the most important, 放心! wishing you the best of luck with it, let us know if you need any help~
    fansile said...
    If programmer is someone who bring a new prospective to a set of films (for our instance), we've done it. Not something proud, but something urgent, have to tell, 如鲠在喉, cos nobody else will voice out for you but yourself. I really think there were things missing from the discussion so far in the indie film world in China. When everyone is so keen about politics, censorship, fame, stands, etc. While what impressed me by the film makers are their originality, power of visualize the common feeling, leverage the little resource to make things happened. And those things are going to push the whole independent cinema goes forward, rather then repeating itself 固步自封.

    Kansai, as we already have the program, is not a problem. And we can try Taiwan next year. My friends there already said they have the strong interest over Chinese indie, since they are "interesting" and hard to find. I started to think, if we are programmers, how can our work feed back to the movement. Does it requires more publication? Discussions? Opportunity?

    We are not happy with just screenings.

Post a Comment